Landlords, did you know that safety requirements for holiday lets are the same as for long-term lets? We give you an easy overview of what’s required to ensure your guests have a safe stay.
If your property has a gas supply (which is very likely), there is risk of fire, explosion, gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s the rules when it comes to gas.
Faulty electrical equipment and wires can cause serious injury, death or fire. Here’s the regulations for electrical safety in your holiday property.
There is a risk of fire in any property; holiday lets are no exception. Here’s how to reduce fire risk and ensure the safety of your guests.
You are required to carry out a fire safety risk assessment. Although you can carry out this assessment yourself (using templates online), it’s best to get a qualified fire consultant to do this.
It’s recommended that your holiday let is reassessed every 12 months or whenever your property changes, such as an addition of new furniture, a log burner or extension.
A fire risk assessment is a comprehensive review of:
What installations or situations could cause a fire? The most common causes include cooking in kitchens, unsafe electrical appliances, candles (left unattended or knocked over) and open fires or log burners.
You need to implement measures to reduce any fire risk, such as:
For maximum protection, a smoke alarm should be installed in every room, except bathrooms. The most reliable type of smoke alarms is those that are wired into your property’s electrical supply. The test button should be pressed frequently to ensure they are in working order.
Many holiday cottages have log burners or open fires, as they’re a desirable feature for guests looking to relax. If you have an open fire or log burner in your holiday let, consider:
Display your completed Fire Risk Assessment in a prominent place for your guests to read.
Leave detailed instructions about where the fire blanket and fire extinguisher are, exits and emergency evacuation plans.
Some holiday properties may have an oil supply instead of gas. Faults in oil appliances pose the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
By law, you must have any oil-fired appliances and equipment serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, which is usually every year.
There is no legal requirement for holiday let owners to have an Oil Safety Certificate. But, for the safety of your guests, it’s highly recommended that you have all your appliances and equipment inspected by an OFTEC Registered Technician. They will give you an OFTEC CD/12 Landlord Oil Installation Check form.
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels, such as gas or oil, aren’t burnt fully. This may happen because a household appliance has been poorly maintained or installed incorrectly.
It’s a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Inhaling it can be fatal, so make sure you take the following basic steps for the safety of your guests.
If you decide to use a management company to manage your holiday property, they will have strict procedures in place to ensure guest’s safety. Always ask them for advice if you’re unsure.Back to news